Friday, July 24, 2009

Socks

I had a strange thought today. I remembered something as I looked out the window at some very red dirt on a hillside. I was in Bastrop and the dirt reminded me of dirt in North Carolina. I mentioned to the driver who was bringing us back to our car after a kayak trip down the Colorado River, that I could remember that red dirt in NC and how my kids' socks would get orange from playing outside around all that red dirt. All the kids had orange socks.

Then, memories of my kids socks and the dirt that would dump out of their shoes as they came in from playing starting flooding my mind. Kentucky... where the dirt was black or brown. Florida...where sand would come pouring out of their shoes. And, NC where the socks were orange with the red clay dirt. See, I told you...strange. My kids' shoes and socks as mile markers along our journeys through life.

No comments: